- Discovered Woody Allen films - so far Hannah and her sisters is my favourite.
- Watched Band of Brothers, Sex and the City, and North and South TV dramas in full.
- Became a fan of Game of Thrones TV series.
- Finally read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy by JRR Tolkien after being a big fan of the films since they were first released over a decade ago.
- Rediscovered my love for the actors Errol Flynn, Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews, Fredric March, and Richard Widmark. I have always loved their work but I rewatched their films recently and consider them in my list of favourite performers.
- Became a fan of the actors Charles Boyer and Vincent Price.
- Found two actors of the present day whose upcoming films I genuinely anticipate. They are Christian Bale and Jennifer Lawrence. Both are very talented, speak beautifully, seem to focus on acting/script/film and not stardom, and have undeniable presence onscreen.
- Attended one of the BBC Proms - Hollywood Rhapsody Night, and consequently, became a fan of the supremely gifted conductor John Wilson and his orchestra.
- Watched The Seventh Seal for the first time. This has been on my to-watch list for years and I wasn't disappointed. It's going to need repeated viewings for me to fully understand it and be able to enjoy it properly, because my first viewing, although wonderful, I was too amazed and captivated by the film to truly comprehend it.
- Rediscovered my love for film in general. In my final year and a half at university, it was easy to get caught-up in the immense workload and the grasp-as-much-as-you-can-of-your-student-days fever. I'm glad I did make the most of it because I'll never get those happy days back again. However, it did mean that I neglected films, especially my classics and favourites.
- Got my YouTube channel up to date.
- Update this blog once a week - whether it be thoughts on a new film I watched or analysis of a scene - whatever it is the blog will be active on a weekly basis.
- Update my The Lord of the Rings blog once/twice a month.
- Expand my knowledge of classic Hollywood - read more and watch more, fill the gaps with more films, actors, directors, studies, and analysis.
- Watch more foreign films - I am really behind on the foreign front. I've never seen a Kirosawa picture (shame, yes I feel it). Recently I was added to a film forum on Facebook and it's been an eye-opener to all the films I haven't seen. Most of the members are quite a bit older than me, but still, they post about films I haven't heard of or ones I know I should have seen by now. I need to broaden my viewings.
- Watch more Hollywood silent films. I have seen only a handful, and that doesn't include Chaplin, Keaton, or Lloyd. I intend to remedy that this coming year.
- Read the autobiographies of Errol Flynn and Gene Tierney, and the biography of Dana Andrews. Also read Truffaut's book on Hitchcock.
- Keep up the YouTube channel and never get a year behind again.
- Listen to more classical music. Get to know symphonies fully and explore the genre.
- See another BBC Prom. Attend the Bath, Bristol, and BFI Film Festival.
- Volunteer at an art gallery - learn more about art.
- Read more history books - I loved history in school and miss learning about it.
Obviously I have more personal goals involving friends, health, career, and places to visit - enjoying life and living it to the full blah blah blah - but they're not relative to this blog. I doubt anyone will read this and if anyone does read it then I'm sure they'll want their 5 minutes back. But I thought I would post it anyway.
I am sorry for the lack of activity on this blog. I hope that by Spring 2014, I will have gathered a good pace on this blog. I wish you all the best for the new year.